Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Old Friends

So I have become addicted to Facebook! Thought I don't like the new layout, I do enjoy the fact that I have reconnected with some of the most memorable and imporant influences in my life. I don't know why, but for some odd reason I have been on a quest to reconnect with people from my past. This includes friends, classmates, coworkers, romances - basically anyone who has played an important role in my life.

Case in point - my dear former coworker Phyllis. We had some of the best times - and worst times of my career working together. She was a staple of the communications center for a long time. She worked back when "you worked." It wasn't nearly like it is now with so many folks in there. You worked solo and had to handle business and multi-task like none of our newest generation of telecommunicators has ever had to do. She taught me so much about communications, and just life in general. She was kind, funny, generous (a great cook) and kept you on your toes. If you got out of line, she had a "homey the clown" bat that she would swing at you! She could even sing (Hey Loretta, and Strangers in the Night stand out the most). She endured the tragedy of losing coworkers in the line of duty and also through natural causes. She was amazing and helped mold me into the telecommunicator I am today. She impacted the lives of so many through her public service and continues to do so working with her family business. Now through Facebook, we have reconnected and I am extatic! I could never repay her for the lessons she taught me - but I have, through Facebook, got a way to reconnect with her and share memories of old times, and update each other about our current lives.

I have no idea why I am on this quest to reunite with people. I feel like somehow it is helping me put closure on something - I just don't know what! I guess the older I get, the more important my past becomes - it's not about looking forward anymore. It is more about remembering the best times of my life, and those who shared them with me. Thanks Facebook, and thank you to all of my old friends that I have reunited with.

1 comment:

  1. You are too kind..I really miss all those good times we had..I know that things are not like they used to be, have not been up there in forever, but would love to see everyone..I will bring Homey, he misses everyone too..I LOVE YOU...

    ReplyDelete