Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Knee

So, I worked EMS in Garner last night and had an OK night. We weren't too busy, worst thing was the structure fire this morning about 4:30 which went through shift change. So overall, it was a good night. I rode with David and then we had a 3rd rider named Cheryl who was super nice. She is a minister! I parallel the two professions - EMS and the ministry because I feel they are very similar. I feel that EMS is a ministry of sorts and have always thought it takes a special someone to do this profession justice. Anyone can obtain the paramedic patch, but only a few people can minister to people through this profession and really impact people's lives.

Now for the bad part of my day. I got up today and walked through the house to check my CAD computer/laptop to see how bad an EMS call was and if I may need to check-in. Well, I was standing in my living room when suddenly my knee cap rotated to the side and I collapsed to the floor (yes the house shook!) So I looked at my knee and could see the obvious deformity, but had no idea if I had broken it or if the knee cap was just dislocated. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't reach a telephone, and I couldn't get to the door - I had no clothes on - so what in the world was I going to do? Well, I rationalized that it was probably dislocated and that if I straightened it out, it may go back in place. Well, it did! I still had to lay here for 20 minutes on the floor while my leg was numb and was praying that I hadn't torn up major ligaments and nerves. I finally was able to get up and hop to the bed. I took 4 advil and went to sleep. I called David in Paramedic class and told him that if I called, I would be needing him to come unlock the door so help could come in and get me! He came home a little later and was here when I got up to make sure I didn't fall and bust my head or something. I think it's ok. It is swollen but I have a brace on it. I will be making an ortho appointment tomorrow just in case. The problem is now I think I hurt my elbow/arm in the fall (I must have landed on it with my fat ass) because now my arm hurts. My knee - which was totally deformed earlier today doesn't hurt, but my dang elbow hurts like crazy.

Anyway, I'm home, knee propped up, hoping that when I wake up tomorrow I will be able to bend my knee.

Until next time - keep up the fire, soldier!

No comments:

Post a Comment