Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kids in the Creek

I believe the year was 1997 - I will research soon to find out exactly.

While returning from another call, one of our neighboring agencies was dispatched to an MVC, vehicle in the creek, children pinned. Shortly thereafter, our agency was paged mutual aid. We were on the beltline enroute back from RCH (DHR now) and they called and asked us to respond as well. As we approached the scene, the incident commander said, "prepare to intubate upon arrival, we have 4 pediatric trauma codes." At this point, I remember driving down the center yellow line and cars falling off of each side of the road. We arrive and find my dear former preceptor Becky doing mouth-to-mouth on a child and another guy Terry doing chest compressions (there weren't enough BVM's to go around until more units got there).

So you ask, what happened? A lady and her children, along with a child she was babysitting, ran off of a winding country road into a creek. This was either January or February. So, did the 4 children retrieved from the creek suffer cardiac arrest from blount trauma - or was it cold water drowning? To be honest, I think it was a mixture. My patient had an obvious head injury. Some of the others did not have obvious injuries - so we honestly didn't know. We worked all of them until they were at hospitals and were warm and dead - or revived.

Now - what did we do? Well, remember back then, we did not have consistent paramedic coverage county-wide, so the first-in unit was an EMT-I level unit. Our agency was on the 2nd in unit and was Paramedic level, and I was returning from a 2nd duty call and was an EMT-I. Paramedic intercepts were dispatched from all over Johnston County to assist as well. Back then, trauma care and "appropriate facility" weren't nearly what they are today. 3 of the children were transported to a trauma center and one was transported to a community hospital. Guess what the outcome was? The one who went to the community hospital on an EMT-I level ambulance was the lone survivor! That child received warm NG lavages and aggressive warming - and survived. It was also likely that this patient was the victim of cold water drowning and not trauma.

Now - the heroism that day was ever so present! The first arriving EMT-I jumped into the water to begin rescuing kids, and 2 deputy sheriff's were in the water rescuing the kids who were trapped in the vehicle in the water. Several volunteer firefighters also jumped in this freezing water - including one firefighter who was transported for hypothermia.

Everyone on the scene that day pulled together and worked as a team. There were no boundaries, district lines, or arguments. I will never forget pulling up and seeing veteran EMT personnel doing mouth to mouth because there weren't enough BVM's to go around. This is what heroes are made of! I am proud to have been there that day. My patient did not survive, but the lessons learned were paramount.

That was one of the first times as a young ALS professional that I realized that superior BLS and non-paramedic care is what truly saves lives. I also learned that you can have compassion and be in EMS. I saw my heroes crying as they did mouth to mouth on lifeless children - yet they kept their composure and did an outstanding job. It is ok to care, it is ok to cry - but the show must go on. Remember, early rescue squads began as neighbor helping neighbor. My father knew at least 50% of the patients he transported if not 75% yet he did a great job and didn't break down on every call. It seems like today if a provider treats someone they know, it almost incapacitates them and becomes "dramatic." Think of our predecessors and how the principle of neighbor helping neighbor is one of the foundations of rural EMS. Always remember, this could be your next call!

3 comments:

  1. JT-

    I remember this one. I was on one of the paramedic intercept ambulances. It was a good example of working together and also of lessons learned.

    And I remember the days in Selma, Smithfield, and Clayton when we did know everyone. I was amazed at how many people I did know, or know one of their relatives. It is a lot different today working in my system, where I very, very rarely see someone I know, except for the 'recurrent clients' that keep showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DJ! What I find amazing is that when I work in Garner - I still go to people I know. Almost everytime I work, I transport a patient that I know, or my parents know. I guess that comes from growing up in Garner/Clayton. The people in Garner are amazed when I drive and don't look at the mapbook or the computer navigation and go directly to the scene. Thanks again for reading and for your comments. I enjoy your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is lot to be said for 'knowing your territory'. Technology can only accomplish so much, and when you truly know where you are going, I can't help but think that it contributes to good patient care, if for no other reason, from preventing the frustrations that naturally come from being lost, or at least 'not familiar' with where you have been dispatched.

    ReplyDelete