Tuesday, March 24, 2009

EMS History and Emergency

So last night after trying lobster for the first time, my friend and I came to the house to watch a movie. He is fairly new to EMS and is currently in EMT school. When I turned on the TV, by habit I looked at my DVR recordings. Daily, I record Emergency!, Adam 12, and Kojak. So my friend had never heard of Emergency! I could not believe it. So I gave him a preview and we watched an episode.

I explained that they used true "online medical control" per the definition in his EMT book. I also explained the role nurses and doctors played in early EMS. I then explained how the treatments rendered in the series were extremely realistic and appropriate for that time period. I then explained what D5W and LR were! I also gave an overview of the EOA and compared it to our modern day KING, combitube and LMA.

He was HOOKED! I explained that I consider these "training films" and that ANYONE who is new in the EMS profession MUST purchase, own and view the series in order to know where we came from. One of the victims in this particular show was in a crop duster crash and had organophosphate poisoning. I explained the importance of the "excessive salivation" that was assessed and why high doses of atropine were ordered. The light bulb came on!

So if you are new to EMS, you really must purchase this series and learn about our heritage. For new EMTs you will actually learn a lot of helpful tips, teaching lessons and see excellent examples of injuries/illnesses. If you are a promising student and are in this line of work for the right reasons, and cannot afford it, I will assist you with the purchase if I can.

So, many of you are requesting war stories. I will start telling them shortly. Stay tuned! Thank you so much to each one of you who reads by blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment