Sunday, January 22, 2012

Updated Ramblings...

Well, as most of you know, it's about time for an update!! I've not blogged in a while - and honestly, I've not had time. That's finally changing and you'll see updates from me more often now.

So, what's new? I left the 911 Center in late August to go to work for a local hospital in the cardiac catheterization lab. Wow, whan an experience. I learned more in just a few months than I have in YEARS about cardiology and worked with some top notch cardiologists and met some great people. Y'all know there is a "but" in here somewhere, so here it goes. But, I just didn't like it. In the particular cath lab I went to work in, I was the only paramedic employed there. There were a couple of former EMS people, but they have since long been out of the field and I just didn't fit in. I didn't spin nor get excited when patients coded or became worse - I responded like I do in the field - calmly - and well let's just say that my calm demeanor didn't fit in with the rest of the crowd. My primary motivation for leaving Johnston County was the money and for a change in pace. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and I should have stayed and explored options within the county government.

So, effective this month, I am returning to Johnston County to work in the field again as a paramedic. I know the county well geographically, from my years of 911 and EMS time. I love shift work, especially night shift, because that's what I have primarily worked most of my career in the 911 industry. I think it was definitely time for me to make a change, but in hindsight I should have made it within JoCo instead of leaving completely. I am thrilled to returning to the field and most appreciative to Selma and Four Oaks EMS for giving me the hours and ability to work.  I love this County, the citizens, and my coworkers and look forward to each day at work now serving the citizens.

Now for the next biggie! I ran a successful campaign this fall to win a seat on the Clayton Town Council! Serving on the town council has been a life-long dream of mine. I used to joke with my schoolmates about being the mayor one day - well I'm not the mayor, but I have joined him in serving our wonderful town. For the last 20 years I've responded to calls from citizens and entered the homes of those who often times could not help themselves. I've responded to the elderly who can't afford to run their air conditioner in the summer because of high electricity rates and I've responded to the poor who cannot afford medications. I've delivered babies in houses with no electricity at all. Now, I feel like I am in a position to do something about it! My primary motivation in filing for town council was to put myself in a position to help those people out who can't help themselves. I want to be a voice and advocate for the elderly who are on fixed incomes. I also want to be a voice for the minorities who often have nobody willing to speak up for them. EMS has given me a unique perspective, as it is a profession that CANNOT descriminate. Whether you have insurance or not, are rich or poor, foreign, minority or American, EMS will respond to your call and provide assistance. Working in EMS has afforded me the chance to serve EVERYONE and see their needs. Now I want to be a voice for those people who have never had a loud voice before. I am super excited to begin this new adventure and be a part of the management of the best town in the United States.

Anyway, that's enough of an update for now. Thank you for listening and look for frequent updates from this point forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment